Thursday, December 27, 2012

Building Arcade Hyperspin/Mame cabinet - Part 2

It's been a busy couple of painting days!

Firstly I went back to Super Cheap Auto and picked up a proper painting mask and better safety goggles. I didn't mind the white too much with the bad mask, but wasn't looking forward to the blue paint.

I then sanded the pieces back and put on the second layer of primer. I was smart enough to have stored a couple of pieces on top of each other before they were fully dry so I needed to pry them apart and then repair the MDF with some white TimberMate wood putty that I had spare from a previous project. I find it is best to just apply the putty with your hands rather than using a putty knife.

I also used the TimberMate again to seal some very small gaps in the console where some of the panels met. I was expecting the paint to fill the gaps, and it probably would have by the last coat, but better to be safe and sorry and it only takes a couple of minutes to do.


At the end of the day I had re-primed most of the pieces.


The next day I did some more minor repairs with the primer here and there and then sanded the paint back one more time. I then put on my first blue coat. The blue paint came much easier out of the spray gun which is making the job faster, but more challenging as it is easier to get a build up of paint.

First coat of the blue paint
I think the colour looks great. On a couple of the pieces I struggled getting even coverage (I had to turn  up the pressure a little bit on the air compressor to fix this) so I will sand these pieces back tomorrow morning and do them again for a final coat *fingers crossed*.

I'm glad I got the painting mask. Below is a picture of the mask after painting the first coat of blue.

The blue pad in the mask was originally white!
So my current plan is to finish up the blue painting tomorrow morning and wire up the console in the evenings over the next couple of days. Then on Sunday I hope I'll be able to put it all together and finish tweaking on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment