Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Custom DNS for Unblock US Fritzbox 7390

UPDATE- Sonos/MOG US have made some changes so that this method no longer works and you receive "unable to browse music" error message. More details in the comments.

I have had some problems recently with MOG no longer working from my Telstra cable connection. My Sonos was reporting authentication issues with MOG, but I could still log in to the website when VPN'd to the US.

Visiting the MOG website showed that Telstra had partnered to bring MOG to Australia. It will be interesting to see the pricing to see the "Australia tax" when it is finalised in the upcoming months. Most likely this partnership has resulted in regional DNS configuration which was directing my queries to the Telstra MOG servers where authentication was denied.

Sonos devices use the DHCP configuration for their network configuration and there is no way to manually specify DNS servers so I needed to change my DHCP server (Fritzbox 7390) from giving out the Bigpond DNS servers and handout the Unblock-US DNS servers instead.

I found many guides on line on configuring custom DNS servers on the Fritzbox via telnet and editing the configuration file, however these changes did not seem to have any affect. My suspicion is that these settings work when using an ADSL provider, but using a LAN1 port via Cable modem did not have the settings apply.



It turned out that by applying a new beta firmware that you can now properly configure the Fritzbox to use custom DNS servers. MOG is now working a treat and Netflix is now working on all devices without having to set manual DNS servers on my devices.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel,

    what version of the firmware are you using right now?

    I'm not successful running MOG on my Sonos. I can surf the website, create an account, even add Mog to the Sonos menus.

    But trying to browse MOG on Sonos controller I get the message 'searching MOG not available' :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like Sonos made some additional changes or MOG changed something in regards to device licences and Unblock-us.com is no longer capturing all of the domains.

      There a bunch of MOG issues reported in late December which rebooting your equipment should have resolved but did not for me.

      I tried re-registering, all the suggested power on/off methods and eventually decided to trial local Spotify before switching to the local MOG offering.

      I haven't looked back, the way spotify handles playlists makes the Spotify mobile app and Sonos play together much nicer and I haven't found any gaps in the music selection.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete